Tuesday, August 31, 2010

She works at the Coffee Shop

“Orange pekoe tea?” 
She knows, because I’ve been coming here for the past, 3 years. She’s only been working here for 10 months. I’ve worked in coffee shops for years myself, so of course her co-workers would tell her about the dude in the black toque and glasses that comes in everyday to get an orange pekoe tea. So, everyday when I walk in she asks me “Orange pekoe tea?”. As if she didn’t already know. But she asks, just in case I wanted to get something different. I said .. “You look tanned. How could you possibly be getting a tan if you’re stuck in this coffee shop everyday?”. It sounded pretty mean but she laughed. I took my tea and sat at a window seat. Cause y’know, that’s what writers do, we sit near windows and look out of them to get inspired. Pft, please. If you’re wondering if this, coffee shop, girl is pretty, well, yeah, she is. I have a problem with staring at beautiful girls straight in the face..
I may not know the details of her face, or the way she smiles or the colour of her eyes.. but I do know how to make her laugh. And how she laughs. I know her hands. That almost touch mine when she hands me my white cup’o tea. She likes to wear big sweaters, as do I. She pulls up her sleeves which it makes it look even more over sized. I know what shoes she’s wearing when she walks around. In the summer she wears these cowboy boots that stomp against the hardwood floors. It makes her look tall, and she wears sneakers in the fall. That make her look small. I stopped coming here for a while when I didn’t have a job because the prices here weren’t as cheap as her monday jeans. Or as fit to my wallet as her tuesday tights. But when I could spare a $2.67, she told me she only works from 1-7, I go out and buy me a, 
“Orange Pekoe Tea?”... 
“I’ll have a Chai today..” - God is Love

No comments: