Friday, May 28, 2010

It's just white clothes, with red paint on it






I went to a small art show a couple months ago to see a friends artwork. I’ve never been to an art show before and I was curious to see how they’re like. In t.v. sitcoms they always play off art shoes to be filled with pretentious unemployed hippies. I don’t think I said a single word the first hour I was there until I listened to a conversation two people were having over a clothesline with white clothing hung in faded bloodstains. I thought it was pretty cool. Mainly because I like murders.(did that sound bad?) These two discussed this piece to a point where what they were talking about wasn’t even relevant anymore. In my head all I was thinking was “It’s just white clothes, with red paint on it”. What I thought was a thought in my head was actually what I had said outloud. Anyway, I waited for my friends showcase and went home thinking about all the great art pieces in history and wondered, what the big deal is about.. I don’t know, the mona lisa. It’s just a portrait, of some, woman. 
I think what was bugging me the whole day was that I find myself reading into things too much. Searching deep into something, someone, to try and define it. I don’t think it’s wrong to read into things sometimes we’re just curious. Most times, we just need to see things as they are. A white-shirt with paint on it. A portrait of some woman. And leave it to be naturally explored. Maybe it’ll always JUST be a white t-shirt with red paint on it. Maybe, that white t-shirt with red paint on it will mean something to you, the 8th or 100th time you look at it. Maybe, the next time you look at the mona lisa, she really is smiling. 
Lets JUST.. be. - God is love

PS. Erykah Badu is on the June issue of VIBE and lookin' fly as a mutha. Have a good weekend ya'll.

No comments: