Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Be a Man about it

I wish I could still play at this court, damn snow.
My father and I have different views on what it is to be a man. My father tells me, to be a man is to get an education, attain a stable job, marry a woman, produce lovely children, support them, and consistently do that last one. That without a doubt is what it is to be a man and mature into a man. But, being in a new era, I feel there is another way. 
My transition from a boy to a man is simply this, Create More, Consume Less. 

Boys try to find themselves in what they buy; men find themselves in what they do. Boys base their identity on what they consume; men base their identity on what they create.
Growing up doesn't always mean putting yourself in a business suit. Being a man doesn't mean just looking the part. Not just, being the part. But working for it. It means taking an active role in the world. Making an impact, in your community, your relationships, your family. Creating landscapes. Inspiring ambitions. Being of service to others, not only for yourself.


 I think I'm kinda far off still from the whole creating a family and children. So, for now I think I'll stick to creating an experience for other people, through my art, through this blog, through my writing, creating my character everyday. Creating your world, instead of consuming it. Living for you, through me. There is more to life than ourselves. Be a Man about it. - God is Love